Spain: Madrid
Wednesday 6th August
Sex in the City.
Another Carrie Bradshaw moment as I’m writing this………! When you’ve been away from a metropolis for an extended period of time, you forget how enticing they can be. We awoke the next morning, what with new a new city to discover, I simply couldn’t wait to get out and about. I don’t know what happens to the tree hugger in me, when I have a new city to explore, but there is something I find totally exhilarating about exploring a new urban environment, at least for a day or 2.
We had the text from Ian saying he had made his flight and polished off a hearty breakfast, Spanish style, before heading out on the metro to explore. Any new metro system is always a challenge to navigate and Madrid was to be no exception. But navigate we did, an unplanned metro line closure had us rambling through the streets of central Madrid. It was hot, but in the shade of the buildings we managed loads of ambling and window shopping, inevitably turning into real shopping as we bagged bargains, in the summer sales.
Madrid has some very interesting architecture, its no match to Barcelona, but I was intrigued by the architectural nuances. We lunched in Placa Mayor eating an uninspiring snack at prices beyond belief, but it was desperately hot but the location made up for it all as we sat shaded from the sun, eating and drinking.
Clearly eating and drinking is a key theme of this trip. I don’t know when I turned into a ‘foodie’, but as I write this blog I realise that hardly a day goes by without food featuring on the daily menu of events. I’m totally comfortable with that, but its kind of creeped up on me un announced as middle earthdom (other wise know as my 30’s). I’m one of those types who are amazed at those people who see food as function and not the individual tasting treat I now view it as.
Time flew by in Placa Mayor as we chatted and people watched. It’s hard to believe this square was once a bull ring, it felt more like St Marks Square, Venice, than another other square I’d visited. I think I was born to sit in squares, drink and chat, I love it! England is seriously lacking in that department. We don’t have that café culture that the rest of Western Europe oozels in abundance. And I could sit in café’s taking in the cultures of the world as a career, if someone would pay me!
Suitably refreshed and watered we headed on through central Madrid reaching the royal palace, stopping for refreshment in a perfectly manicured square by the side of the palace. The café we chose was piping air cooled mist onto the tables below the canopies. Its hard to describe, it’s like outside air conditioning, very dramatic and fabulously cooling to sit under. We glugged on some very tangy long, lemon drinks I had spied the table behind us drinking, my Spanish lessons coming in very handy to get that for us.
Hot and sight seeing weary we headed back to our hotel for siesta. It turned into a mammoth sleep in as I struggled to muster the energy to move myself from the hotel to refuel. They call Madridians, party people and despite not setting out until almost 10pm Madrid was only just awaking. We headed over to the gay quarter, famous for its night life, restaurants, bars and clubs. Our restaurant choice however was packed with no chance of a table, we opted instead for a funky little noodle restaurant.
Now I’ve learnt a long time ago that I can’t combine sight seeing and late night partying which frustrates the hell out of me but I simply can’t do both like I used to. So come 1am I was ready for sleep, despite the fact that Madrid’s night life was pulsing on around us still.
Saturday, 16 August 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment